[Welsne_teach] Epiphany/Baptism of our Lord

Phil Hirsch MANHATTANHOPE at msn.com
Fri Jan 10 10:16:30 CST 2020

A child Who will shepherd the LORD's Israel.  A child before whom magi from the East bowed the knee--think about it: when's the last time you saw an adult bend the knee?

And the child grew in stature and in wisdom before God and neighbors and now finds Himself in the Jordan, asking to be washed with John's baptism.  "In order to fulfill all righteousness."

Such a distinct set of assertions at the center of the Church!  Worship-worthy Child! A soon-to-be rabbi-like teacher in water.  The Voice: "This is my Son, Whom I love; with Him I am well-pleased."

Did you notice the third-person pronoun?  The Divine Voice speaks about the One being baptized for the benefit of all who would listen--"I'm pleased with Him." Others who witnessed the baptism had to wonder--at least a bit--whose voice is that?  What does it matter that such a voice is well-pleased?

God-in-the-flesh is the One Who pleases the Father.  He's righteous in His person and in His action.  He put on our humanity to be righteous coram Deo--before the face of God.  He submitted to being entirely and truly human so that the humans have a shepherd.  The sheep need a shepherd.  The humans need a king.  The humans need to be righteous and hear the promise that they are righteous in This One--the One.

Someone needs to tell them in Whom they are righteous.  Someone needs to tell them where they are pleasing to their Creator.

In our prayers
-Andrea Smith and Eileen Smith (daughter and wife of Pastor Bob Smith of Redeemer, Hastings, NE) continue to recover nicely in the hands of our Father.
-Nick Mount, pastor of Grace in Geneva and Trinity in Grafton, continues to recover nicely and slowly and surely back home in Geneva.

Decision Announced
-Tim Westendorf of Abiding Word, Highlands Ranch, CO chose to continue to serve there and declined to serve Mt. Olive in Overland Park, KS.
-Kayte Gut of Shepherd of the Valley, Westminster, CO (& District ECMC) chose to continue to serve among us and declined to serve in Jacksonville, FL.
-Hannah Rothe of Christ Our Redeemer, Aurora, CO chose to serve at St. Paul's, Rapid City, SD.
-Dave Ring of NELHS chose to serve at Wisconsin Lutheran School, Racine, WI.

Lutheran Teachers Deliberating
-Justin Vilski of Prince of Peace, Salt Lake City to Thiensville, WI
-Benjy Wells of NELHS to Arizona Lutheran Academy, Phoenix
-Mike Paulsen of St. Paul's, Norfolk, NE to Wyoming, MI
-Corey Pederson of Gethsemane, Omaha to Belle Plaine, MN

Congregations/Calling Bodies Calling a Pastor

-Shepherd of Peace, Norfolk, NE will Call again 1/15.

-Christ, Beatrice and St. Paul's, Plymouth, NE will Call again 1/12.

-Good Shepherd, Kearney, NE will Call again 1/16. Tom Schneider from Christ in Grand Island, NE is serving the vacancy.

-Mt. Olive, Overland Park, KS will Call again 1/19.   Jake Jenswold of Rock of Ages, KC is helping with the vacancy.

-Trinity, Winner, SD will Call again 1/15.

Congregations/Calling Bodies Calling a Lutheran Teacher

-Zion, Denver to Barb Noon of Clarksville, TN for K-1.

-St. Mark, Salina, KS to Caty Waggoner of Zion, IL for a preschool teacher.

Upcoming
-The WELS COP met last week, January 6-9.  Please pray for these servants of the Word of God in the Church.
-A meeting of the leaders of Zion, Bonesteel, SD and St. Paul, Naper, NE and Beautiful Savior, O'Neill, NE will discuss the potential of a tri-parish on January 15.
-January 21-23, 2020--National Leadership Conference in Chicago (in place of annual Missionaries' Conference this year).  Info at: www.lutheranleadership.com<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lutheranleadership.com&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cee68f77f357446a45bfc08d79159411b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637137684836580074&sdata=6PCTmUTvL7%2FlNTbzXN7gFatVIO7SVdbescXwFw2Eq10%3D&reserved=0>.  The conference has reached its limit of 600 and a waiting list is being kept as negotiations for extra conference space and hotel rooms continue.
-June 1-3, 2020 the Nebraska District Convention at Estes Park Center